Skip to main content
 In News & Events
2019 grantee, Karl Sutton of Fresh Roots Farm in Polson, MT successfully converted their Allis Chalmers G tractor to 48v electric.
2019 grantee, Karl Sutton of Fresh Roots Farm in Polson, MT successfully converted their Allis Chalmers G tractor to 48v electric.

At The FruitGuys Community Fund, we believe that small grants can have big impacts on independent farms. Each spring, we provide grant awards of up to $5,000 to support small farms and agricultural nonprofits, as they strive for greater economic and environmental sustainability for their farms, programs, and communities.

In 2019, we were able to support our largest and most diverse class so far, boasting 15 farms and agricultural nonprofits, from 12 states across the U.S. We’re proud to see this year’s grantees’ sustainability projects coming to fruition, including the installation of water-catchment systems, the creation of community compost programs, construction of high tunnels and insect hotels, and the conversion of traditional fuel tractors to electric. We’re proud of the 2019 class of grantees and excited to announce that we’re now accepting letters of intent for the 2020 grant cycle.

We receive letters of intent for many worthy projects, but have limited funding available.  We support as many projects as possible, but sadly, not every applicant can receive funding. In 2019, we received a record 318 applications, yet we were only able to fund 15 grantees. We’re working hard to grow that number this year, in hopes of offering financial support to a handful of additional farms.

After evaluating the 2020 letters of intent, 20 finalists will be invited to continue their applications. From this, up to 20 finalists will receive funding. Applicants who do not receive funding are welcome to apply again another year for the same project or a different one. However, past grantees are not eligible to apply, as we’re not currently funding farms that have already received a grant from The FruitGuys Community Fund.

LOI Application Tips

As you compose your letter of intent, please be prepared to share detailed information about your farm or nonprofit, as well as a short description of your proposed project. We also request that you include a budget breakdown, outlining how you’ll spend your grant money.

Proposed projects should be aligned with our Farming Manifesto. We’re committed to ecologically-sustainable farm management practices that preserve and enhance farmland, as well as supporting the surrounding landscape and communities, while respecting farmers’ autonomy and economic needs.

For more details, please read our eligibility requirements.

Please be aware that grant awards are disbursed in two installments. If you are selected as a grantee, you will receive the first installment, 75% of your grant, in April 2020. The second installment, the remaining 25% of your grant, will be provided in December 2020, following the completion of your project and the submission of a final progress report.


The deadline to submit a letter of intent is Friday, January 10, 2020, 11:59 p.m. PST. All applicants will be notified whether their proposal has been accepted or declined by Monday, February 10, 2020. Finalists will then be asked to provide a full application by Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:59 p.m. PST. The 2020 grantees will be notified by Friday, April 10, 2020.

Please spread the word, and share the application with small-scale farmers you know!

Join our mailing list for news and updates!

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment


Start typing and press Enter to search